Re: How to shrink a database

From: troy trimble <troyt_at_sun.com>
Date: 1995/04/20

In article HtE_at_nl.oracle.com, cgohring_at_lucifer (Carl Gohringer) writes:

>dherdman_at_osil.demon.co.uk (Dave G Herdman) writes:

>: We are tseting an Oracle 7 application from another company
>: with a view to buying it. The application was delivered as
>: a dump of all the database files. We have now cleared out
>: most of the rows we dont need and we want to shrink the
>: database down from about 4Gig to say 300 meg. We cannot

See if they are using any CHAR fields in the tables. If they are, consider converting them to VARCHAR2. CHAR columns occupy the full space they are defined as (ex. CHAR(100) always takes up 100 bytes of space) while VARCHAR2 only uses space for what is actually defined so if you have a lot of CHAR columns, converting to VARCHAR2 could provide substantial savings.

Good luck,
TT Received on Thu Apr 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message