Re: How to delete Tablespace when datafile is missing ?

From: Nick DiBlasi <ahipc1j.ndibla01_at_eds.com>
Date: 1995/04/18

In article <3moj69$65l_at_jaws.cs.hmc.edu>, Kohc_at_cgs.edu (Kohc) says:

>Hi Netters,
>
>Forgive me for asking a newbie question as I am indeed
>new.
>
>I have created a tablespace (A) with a datafile (DF).
>
>However I make a mistake by deleting the DF. Now
>whenever I try to drop A in SQLPLUS, I get an error
>indicating that the Datafile is not found.
>
>How can I drop my tablespace now ? You help will be
>very much appreciated.

I have used the following sequence of commands to resolve the problem you are having:

  alter database datafile "name of file you deleted"   offline drop;

  drop tablespace ?????? including contents;

This avoids having to do any type of recovery procedure. Hope this helps.

Nick DiBlasi
DBA
Electronic Data Systems
ahipc1j.ndibla01_at_eds.com