Re: Text Searching in Oracle?

From: Tony Quan <quan_at_Xenon.Stanford.EDU>
Date: 1995/04/12

In article <3m1b86$pre_at_news.csus.edu>, Eric D Pierce <sac50216_at_saclink1.csus.edu> wrote:
>Michael G. Barbitta (michaelx_at_leland.stanford.edu) wrote:
>: In article <3luvt9$q1d_at_ttis.thomtech.com> Dave H <dheissner_at_thomtech.com> writes:
>: >From: Dave H <dheissner_at_thomtech.com>
>: >Subject: Text Searching in Oracle?
>: >Date: 5 Apr 1995 20:51:53 GMT

>: >Are there any third-party products available which provide text search
>: >capabilities for Oracle data? Has anyone does this and what would be
>: >a good approach to take?

>: >TIA
>: Oracle is comming out with a text search application. You might want to give
>: them a call. I spoke to a person from P.C. Week about it today.
>:
>: Michael G. Barbitta
>
>Dealing with fields defined with the "long" data type is a specific
>problem. Oracle has a product called TextRetrieval, which may be based
>on a product/technology called Context. I got a big white paper about
>it a few years ago from the sales people at Oracle, and it looked
>pretty ugly (very complex, probably only suitable for big sites with
>really serious need for integration of a seperate document management
>system and an Oracle database). The old product only ran on VAX/VMS
>and other similar systems (no PC/LAN stuff, BOO HOO).
>
>As mentioned in the above message and others, rumor has it that Oracle
>is coming out with a new version of this thing, or they are coming out
>with another product that has a similar name/function.

TextServer 3.0 is the intended replacement for the old SQL Text*Retrieval. It will be available first on Sun, with either a Windows or Motif client. Versions for other platforms should become available later this year. TextServer uses the ConText product to perform various kinds of linguistic analysis on the stored documents. I can refer you to more info about it if you're curious.

--Tony
quan_at_cs.stanford.edu Received on Wed Apr 12 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message