Re: ORACLE Data Partitioning?

From: <briantc_at_delphi.com>
Date: 1995/04/09

Joe Minnich <jminnich_at_bugaboo.ssnet.com> writes:

>|> A very large table which contains 4 fiscal years worth of transactions
>|> would be partitioned onto 4 seperate disks based on fiscal year

>|> with the current fiscal year on the fastest one. When a query is
>|> made against this table using the fiscal year, only the disk where
>|> the applicable fiscal year resides is accessed.

This CAN BE DONE"!

Don't panic - it does require a hell of a lot of downtime though. This is how you do it:

Split each financial year into separate tables on separatae tablespaces. (If you can't do this ignore me)

Put your most recent fiscal year on the fastest disk you have, and the set up a rolling archive system that puts your oldest data onro tape ( or floppy or CD) via export. Ie - re-organize your data.

If this can't be done - which means all your financial data is held in a single tablespace the take my advive:

  1. Shoot whoever designed your database
  2. Do a full export of the database and rebuild it with the most requently accessed tablespaces on your fastest disk. ( Big Hint - Use Compress=Y) 3. If your system supports logical volumes consider striping the whole lot accross three or four physical devices - this worked for me......

BC     Received on Sun Apr 09 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message