Re: Trace Files(*.trc)

From: Parris Geiser <parris_at_walleye.esp.bellcore.com>
Date: 1995/04/04

Prabhinder Singh (psingh_at_aadt.com) wrote:
> Question: When we use the sql trace facility then corresponding to each
> sql statement executed thereafter the oracle generates a trace file (*.trc)
> in the directory specified in DUMP_DESTINATION variable of init ora.
> The default destination is oracle/rdbms/log. But when oracle creates this

> trace file it does not give read permission to the user. The permissions looks

> like

> -rw-rw---- 1 oracle dba 412 Mar 18 15:57 ora_13206.trc

> This shows that trace file created corresponding to any "xyz" user's query
> cannot be accessed by that user itself. This trace file can either be accessed by
> Oracle or any user having DBA group.
> My problem is that neither I can allow every user in the development team
> to login as an oracle nor I can add them to DBA group. So what should I do
> so that developers in my team can use these trace files .

> Your help would be appreciated in resolving this issue.
>
> --
> Prabhinder Singh SABRE Decision Technologies
> (817)963-1112 (O) P. O. Box 619616, MD 4479
> CP-IV: 3W5B-53 Dallas/Fort Worth Airport,
> (817)967-9763 (FAX) Texas 75261-9616
> e-mail: psingh_at_sdt.com

Funny how everyone seems to have the same problems ... My solution was to write a simple C program (under UNIX) with the executable having mode u+s. The C program copied the existing file to /tmp so the user could look at it there. I put the executable in the directory specified by DUMP_DESTINATION. Hope that this helps.

        parris geiser Received on Tue Apr 04 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message