Re: Help: choosing a database engine for MS-Windows

From: Kuo-Sheng <kschang_at_mercury.sfsu.edu>
Date: 23 Mar 1995 05:16:56 GMT

Shao Xiong (sxiong_at_oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu) wrote:

: We are using MFC(VC++ 1.51) to develop our MS Windows application. :
: Currently, the database engine we are using is WatCom SQL for Windows,
: which : is a standalone 32-bit SQL database for single user and supports
: ODBC, : Embedded SQL and WSQL HLI(High Level Interface). We used to use
: ODBC to : access the database but it was very slow; then we switched to
: WSQL HLI. : It seems we got faster database access but we sometimes have
: database : connection problems if there are multiple database connections.

Really... Watcom SQL is one of the SLOWEST SQL servers around. If you have a "real" server, you are better off with some other SQL.

: We really have some problems with WatCom SQL for Windows, besides : they
: charge you $75 per question. We may need to choose a different database :
: engine. We don't know much about what is available and better on the
: market, : so we would like to ask some questions.

: 1. MS ODBC is really nice but it is very slow. Do you use ODBC and
: if yes how do you improve the database access performance?

Use native drivers will speed up access tremendously. MS promises that the new 32-bit ODBC drivers are fast, but you need Win95.

: 2. What do you think about WatCom SQL for Windows if you have had
: experiences with it?

Haven't played with it, but it's... SLOW according to reviews I read. Dig up some old issues of PC Magazine or buy the CD version which has full text search I think.

:3. Is there any better database engine for the single user and how
: is its database interface?

Yes, Interbase, standard SQL, faster and more robust IMHO.

:4. How faster would it to use Embedded SQL insteal of ODBC?

Quite a bit faster and far more reliable, I believe.

--
| Kasey K. S. Chang (a guy)  kschang_at_sfsu.edu  ksc1_at_aol.com                |