Re: Designer/2000 & Developer/2000

From: Scott M. Langdoc <scott_at_uscs.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 12:56:10 -0800

In article <dbmooreD5nG9J.4sq_at_netcom.com>, dbmoore_at_netcom.com (Dennis Moore) wrote:

> (1) D/2000 stands for "Dennis 2000." Alternative theories exist for
 "Deathrace
> 2000."
>
> (2) We have ***NOT*** changed non-Windows pricing (i.e. Mac, Unix,
 VMS). While
> we may make some tuning adjustments on those platforms, we don't expect
 to have
> free runtimes on all platforms. We build the product on Windows and then port
> to those other platforms, which is a very difficult and expensive process (if
> you don't believe me, then ask Sybase's PowerBuilder why their Mac and Motif
> ports are over two years late ;-). On Unix and VMS, we also support character
> mode deployment, and again this is expensive and time consuming. With Windows
> now not only our fastest growing but also our largest single platform
 (in terms
> of units and revenues), we have to take a "Windows first" attitude but without
> negatively affecting our huge Unix and VMS installed base.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> -- Dennis/2000
>
> --
> -- Dennis Moore, Oracle Corp.

Dennis,

My only comment would be, given you will still be charging runtimes on Macintosh and Motif, would be to avoid the label "shipping in/2000" and use some of those dollars to speed the availability of a world class CROSS-PLATFORM environment.

In other words.....we're still waiting......<grin>

It would also be smart to clarify your position on runtimes with the press. They think runtimes are being eliminated PERIOD. So did I.

Continued good luck.

--
Scott M. Langdoc                                       scott_at_uscs.com
U.S. Computer Services / CableData