Oracle Tuning under A/UX

From: bode <bode_at_netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 1995 06:43:07 GMT

Hello,

I just inhereted a large database running Oracle7 over A/UX on an Apple WorkgroupServer 95. The database is roughly 1.7 gigs large, and holds advertising data. I am trying to get as much performance as possible out of the database and the WGS95. The WGS95 has 80 megs of ram, and I am trying to change the buffers to make use of all the memory. Currently oracle spawns about 60 megs worth of oracle processes including the appletalk network interface. However, that leaves roughly 15 megs free, and the machine is not swapping any pages.

Any ideas, pointers, anything that would help to improve the _very_ sluggish performance. Right now I do not believe the database is in a raw partition, but is stored in a unix partition. Is this slowing things down? Is it safe and or easy to move it to a raw partition? Striping the drives might help?

Performance is bad enough it's almost not usable, and any help would be much appreciated, or any pointers to any relevant info.

brian

Brian J. Bodensteiner University of California Internet: bodenste_at_seas.ucla.edu Los Angeles Internet: bboden_at_axposf.pa.dec.com The best way to accelerate Internet: bode_at_netcom.com an IBM is 9.8 m/s^2