Deleting all rows from a Table

From: Greg Watt <tipps_at_ottawa.cbc.ca>
Date: 16 Mar 1995 23:02:14 GMT

We have a table with no fewer than 24 integrity constraints. The table currently contains 9500 rows. How long should a DELETE table_name WHERE col_name = 'xxxxx' where col_name is an index? We find it's taking a lot of time. We are running on a HP 9000 800/G30. I'm not sure how much table space has been defined but I think out temp storage is 100 meg. The BOX itself has 1 2 gig drive. We tried doing the delete in PRO*C but it failed: we think it might have been the maxopencursors and the fact that it was at 10. We've upped it to 50 and resubmitted the job. The job's been running 7 hours before we killed it.

Now we're trying the delete in SQL*PLUS. I take it ORACLE is opening all sorts of cursors to support the delete and this is things are taking so long. I'm sorry i can't add any more information that this - i'm new to ORACLE development. I guess while i have your attention, I should ask if there is a quicker way to delete records from a table. We've been a DATACOM shop for many years and our DBA's are just coming up to speed on ORACLE.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Greg Watt Received on Fri Mar 17 1995 - 00:02:14 CET

Original text of this message