Re: Oracle 7.0 and WWW Interfaces on Ultrix 4.4

From: Amit Srivastava <amit_at_miller.cs.uwm.edu>
Date: 15 Mar 1995 23:15:12 GMT

In article <3k7lfg$rhb_at_in2002.biosis.org> svellis_at_mail.biosis.org (S. Veryl Ellis) writes:
>We're attempting to install an Oracle/WWW interface. We've tried WOW and
>are now trying DECOUX. Both packages require an Oracle variable named
>"TWO_TASK". I am not a DBA and our DBA is an Oracle newbie. Needless to
>say neither of us have a clue as to what it should be. Well I don't,
>maybe the DBA has a little clue.
>
>The Oracle/WWW examples show the variable as being "kmontino-sun" which
>is probably great if you're running a SUN server. We on the other hand
>are running a DEC Ultrix server.
>
>Is there anyone out there who can give us a clue as to what/why/where/who
>this "TWO_TASK" variable is? What is it? Why do we need it? When do we
>need it?
Basically it is a shell variable that lets you avoid specifying full connect strings. If ou do not specify a driver or an alias on the command line, SL*NET TCP/Ip reads the two task environment vairable to determine the default alias or the default driver and its parameters. for example:
sqlplus john/doe_at_local

with export TWO_TASK="local" in Korn-shell or specify another database you can do: sqlplus john/doe

If you have any documentation,
the two_task variable van be explained in the sqlnet tcp/ip user's guide.

--
              _/_