Re: Help - Trying to connect to Oracle 7 with VB

From: Tyler J. Wilson <twilson_at_vines.colostate.edu>
Date: 13 Mar 1995 15:41:00 GMT

In article <dburell.6.004FA8D6_at_primenet.com>, dburell_at_primenet.com (Dean Burell) says:

>I am new to using VB and am having some difficulty connecting to Oracle7. I
>seem to making the connection, but when I try to create a dynaset or snapshot
>of a table, I get errors telling me that the object does not exist. I have
>connected via Access 2.0 and SQLplus and verified the table names and their
>syntax. Initially I thought that it may be timing out on the query since
>there are a large number of tables in the database, I increased the
>QueryTimeout variable to two minutes and I still get the same error. Am I
>missing something? I did verify the connect strings and the syntax of the
>OpenDatabase() commands and they seem to look ok.
>
>Any suggestions or code samples would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>
>Dean Burell
>dburell_at_primenet.com

I had a similar problem. To resolve the problem I used the SQL Pass Through option on the CreateDynaset command (the code number for SQL Pass Through is 64). To use the SQL Pass Through option all you need to do is write your SQL code as if you are writing it using SQL*Plus.

Hope this helps.

(      ,'\   ,-^\       Ski Forever...        ...Work Whenever                    )
)   ,' ) ','  ( `.     Tyler Wilson          email:  twilson_at_vines.colostate.edu(
(  ,'  ( ,'____ )  \    Research Services     phone:  (303)491-2137               )
)/   __)-' || `-.__`.  Colorado State University                                (