Re: RDBMS under Novell ?

From: Jim Hogan <jimh_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: 12 Mar 1995 23:48:57 GMT

flachan_at_ibm.net writes:

>In <1995Mar8.142824.1328_at_gamelan.shnet.org>, thomas_at_gamelan.shnet.org (Thomas Funke) writes:
>>
>>A customer plans to use a RDBMS (Sybase or Oracle) under Novell.
>>
>>In my opinion, a Unix server is a better solution. What are your
>>experiences with a Novell-based server ? How stable are they, how about
>>data security etc. ?
>>
>>Any comments appreciated !
>>

>Don't do it man! We suffered through that experience. Our first mistake was
>to not dedicate netware servers for the sole purpose of running Oracle. And
>when we did at one of our sites, it was still slow and unstable. The type of
>machines that you use to run Netware will make a difference too. If you don't
>have a good server (like a compaq or an AST) the server will abend on a regular
>basis. Also, (I hate to sound negative) Oracle doesn't give the same level of
>attention to this platform then it does for the Sun or HP platform. I'm still waiting
>for version 7.1.3 here (Canada is always behind in versions anyways).

I think it would depend a lot on what your long-term objectives are. A project of ours just migrated from Novell-Oracle6 to OSF/1-Oracle7 to deal with a an expected larger number of users, more perfomance, etc.

I can say, though, that the NLM version of Oracle was a virtual no-brainer to install and that the DBA's experience with the product (running dedicated on a Compaq SystemPro) was pretty trouble-free.

>Just go with Unix, it'll make your life a lot easier...

I appreciate the many virtues of Unix, but think it would only make someone's life easier if a) they are already familiar with it or b) their project's needs demand that they learn such a complex beast in order to achieve some of the payback that Unix might provide. If Thomas' application is small and destined to stay that way then I think that he'd be better served by looking at Oracle on a platform like Netware, OS/2, or NT.

>Francois Lachance
>Data Administrator
>Saskatchewan Highways and Transportation

Jim Received on Mon Mar 13 1995 - 00:48:57 CET

Original text of this message