Re: Oracle, Access, SQL*Net and ODBC ?

From: Michael Dosik <mdosik_at_comet.pacersoft.com>
Date: 10 Mar 1995 23:44:34 GMT

In article <comrmb-100395133944_at_147.197.207.213>, comrmb_at_herts.ac.uk (Mike Bearne) writes:
|> Hello,
|>
|> I am looking in to the feasability of using an Access front end to an
|> Oracle 7 database. I've been in touch with Oracle, Microsoft etc but no
|> one seems to be able to give me a straight answer as to what is needed to
|> link these two databases together. I've been told by various companies
|> that I need ODBC drivers, or SQL*Net, or both (on either or both platforms)
|> but nobody seems to wanbt to tell me exactly what the set up should be.
|>
|> I'm drowning in a sea of techie jargon! Has anybody got a life raft?
|> (metaphorically speaking of course!)....
|>
|> Cheers,
|>
|> Mike.

Mike,

You need a couple of pieces to put the whole puzzle together. Access communicates to the outside world via an ODBC API. This API, built into Access, is a standard call interface developed by a consortium of companies but really pushed forward by Microsoft. There are other standards and proprietary API's but, at least on Windows, ODBC is the only one gaining real market acceptance.

Underneath this API on the client you need an ODBC driver. This is something you need to purchase or acquire. The driver translates the ODBC calls into DBMS or Middleware specific statements.

The last piece you need is something that sends these statments across the net to the host computer. You also need to purchase this. Oracle's proprietary networking product is SQL*NET. Other middleware vendors sell their own networking piece.

The big challenge is putting all the pieces together. Depending on how proprietary of a solution you want there are several options:

  1. You can get Oracle's ODBC driver which talks to Oracle's SQL*NET which in turn talks to the Oracle DBMS.
  2. You can purchase an ODBC driver pack from another vendor like Q+E from Intersolv which talks to SQL*NET as well as other DBMS network products like Informix and Sybase.
  3. You also can get everything you need from a middleware product like EDA/SQL from Information Builders, sequel*link from Techgnosis or DAL from Independence Technologies/Pacer Software (the company I work for).

I'm sure the companies mentioned would be happy to give you more information about their products. Here's my blurb:

Pacer Software resells DAL/ODBC clients for Windows and Macs and engineers DAL Servers for Unix platforms (Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, OSF/1) for several DBMSs (Ingres, Informix, Oracle, Sybase and DB2/6000). If you want more information about the DAL product feel free to call Pacer Software at 508-898-3300 or send me email at mdosik_at_pacersoft.com.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike Dosik

Michael Dosik                 /\         "Imitation is the sincerest form of
Software Engineer            /  \  /     having no imagination."
mdosik_at_pacersoft.com             \/                         -- I copied this
Pacer Software, Inc.
(508)-898-3300