Re: Oracle, Access, SQL*Net and ODBC ?

From: Michael J. Marolda <mmarolda_at_bristol.onramp.net>
Date: 10 Mar 1995 16:38:55 -0600

In article <comrmb-100395133944_at_147.197.207.213>, Mike Bearne <comrmb_at_herts.ac.uk> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am looking in to the feasability of using an Access front end to an
>Oracle 7 database. I've been in touch with Oracle, Microsoft etc but no
>one seems to be able to give me a straight answer as to what is needed to
>link these two databases together. I've been told by various companies
>that I need ODBC drivers, or SQL*Net, or both (on either or both platforms)
>but nobody seems to wanbt to tell me exactly what the set up should be.
>
>I'm drowning in a sea of techie jargon! Has anybody got a life raft?
>(metaphorically speaking of course!)....
>
>Cheers,
>
>Mike.

I've tested that exact setup and my configuration is:

Server:

	Sparc 10 (Clone)
	SunOS 4.1.3_UI
	Oracle 7.1.3
	SqlnetV2
	TCP/IP Network Adapter (from oracle.  Use the adapter that matches your
				network protocol)

Client

	486 Laptop
	Windows 3.1
	SqlnetV2
	TCP/IP Network Adapter
	ODBC (One of the freebies from oracle).
	MS-Access 2.0

My observations:

  1. It takes Access a long time to attach the tables (It may be the odbc driver, though).
  2. The SQL*Net installation was okay up to the point where I tried using the network administration tool to configure the .ora files. I gave up after 30 minutes and coded the tnsnames.ora file by hand. Has anyone used that tool succesfully? I've done the .ora files on our server by hand before and it wasn't very difficult for a single protocol, single family environment. (It wasn't that much harder for a more a more complex network environment).

I hope this helps.

Mike Marolda mmarolda_at_onramp.net
Bristol Database Resources Inc. - http://bristol.onramp.net/ Received on Fri Mar 10 1995 - 23:38:55 CET

Original text of this message