Re: Recovery using RAW devices

From: Dave Platt <plattd_at_govonca.gov.on.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 14:06:48 GMT

In <jean-francois.denis.7.000D8234_at_s1.bru1.sni.be> jean-francois.denis_at_s1.bru1.sni.be (Jean-Francois Denis) writes:

>We are using Oracle 7.0.15 DBMS on a UNIX machine. For performance reason, we
>will use RAW devices instead of UNIX files.
>We worry about the recovery after an Oracle crash when using RAW devices.

>Could you give us any hint or mention the problems you met using RAW devices.

>Thank you for your help.

>Jean-Francois DENIS (jean-francois.denis_at_s1.bru1.sni.be)
>Siemens-Nixdorf Belgium

We too use raw devices for performance reasons.

I recomend that you do your tablespace sizing right the first time because it is a real nuisance to have to change the sizes. You have to repartition the drive.

On our operating system (SGI-IRIX) our backup options are limited to dd for backing up raw partitions.

David Platt Received on Fri Mar 10 1995 - 15:06:48 CET

Original text of this message