Re: Q: Machine generated keys

From: Steve Butler <sbut-is_at_seatimes.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 08:51:35 -0800

On 2 Mar 1995, Steve wrote:
> I have a requirement to find the next available value for a
> machine generated primary key in a multi-user environment for a

I let ORACLE generate the sequence numbers. Look at the CREATE SEQUENCE syntax. The application programmers can issue a SQL statement to get the value and ORACLE will ensure that only one user gets any particular value.

Hope this helps.

--Steve

| Steve Butler          Voice:  206-464-2998         |
| The Seattle Times       Fax:  206-382-8898         |
| PO Box 70          Internet:  sbut-is_at_seatimes.com |
| Seattle, WA 98111    Packet:  KG7JE_at_N6EQZ.WA       |
All standard and non-standard disclaimers apply. All other sources are annonymous. Received on Fri Mar 03 1995 - 17:51:35 CET

Original text of this message