Re: Multiple SQL/Net TCP/IP for Windows Connections?

From: John Oliver <oliverj_at_zeus.eymsl.co.nz>
Date: 2 Mar 95 21:49:22 GMT

I got the following reply from Frank Vandongen at Oracle, which fixed the problem. Thanks again Frank.

This used to be a common problem in SqlNet V1. This was primarily Due to the fact that the TCP/IP software could not determine the port ID for the ethernet packets to go to.

I have attempted to reproduct the problem on my own PC. I have Oracle Names running. I also have version 2.1.4 of SqlNet with the corresponding TCP/IP Protocol adapter running on windows 3.11.

I made two connections with no problem.

What you may want to do is to create a services file for your TCP/IP software, if it does not exist, it should have at the most two entries.

They read:
orasrv 1525/tcp
listener 1521/tcp <---- This one should read the same name as the listener.ora file states what the name of the listener is.

>Our problem is is that a workstation can only ever have one datatase
>connection open at a time. Opening a second connection from Powerbuilder
>gives an error "ORA-06107: NETTCP: ORACLE network server not found".
>Opening a second connection from an ODBC client such as MS Access gives
>an error "ODBC - connection to '<databasename>' failed"

This is solved in SqlNet V1 connections by placing a /1525 after the hostname. eg: T:<hostname>/1525:<SID>

>It matters not whether the second connection is from the same class of
>client, or to the same server database. It just seems that you can only
>have one client connection to an Oracle server from the PC.

>Thanks for any help,
 I hope this helps. Received on Thu Mar 02 1995 - 22:49:22 CET

Original text of this message