Re: Oracle on Unix

From: Burton V. Peltier <ep94bvps_at_shell.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 19:23:15 GMT

jamesm_at_matrix.newpaltz.edu (james mularadelis) writes:

>Bruce Shankle (ivisoft_at_cybernetics.net) wrote:
>: Can someone give me a list of the UNIXes that Oracle 7.0
>: will run on?

>: We have a client that wants us to port some DOS code to Oracle on UNIX.

>: Thanks in advance,

>: Bruce Shankle

>We've got Oracle 7 on an RS6000, model 570 now, and it's runs fine,
>under AIX 3.2.5. We're getting a multi-proc RS for another office
>and putting Oracle on it for them. The current platform we have runs
>great.. Very fast I/O and file handling. It's pretty easy to
>admin once you get past some hurdles (such as poor
>documentation from IBM). I worked on a Unisys 5000 in the Army and it
>had Oracle 6, but the beast was not easy to work with. It's speed
>wasn't bad when you got the processor upgrades (dual 40 Mhz) but the
>administration for it seemed to be a hassle.

>I've been impressed with the RS, in throughput and system
>management.. Plus it's been running 80 days straight without a gitch,
>can't say the same with some other platforms. It's a durable box,
>that takes some getting used to.

>Jim

>--

>James Mularadelis
>Computer Services - Academic Computing
>SUNY New Paltz - (914) 257-3130
>jamesm_at_matrix.newpaltz.edu

>--> The opinions expressed, and statements made are strictly mine. <--
>--> They do not represent those of any agency or personnel of <--
>--> SUNY New Paltz nor that of the State of New York <--

It is normal for our HP and Sun Microsystem Oracle DB Servers to be up 100+ consecutive days. I've heard good things about Oracle on SCO-Unix on PCs. Since you already have PCs, you might want to consider running SCO-Unix on them (or Solaris version of Unix).

There are so many versions of Unix that Oracle will run on, that I will not try to list them all here.

* Burt Peltier Shell Offshore    ep94bvps_at_shell.com *
* (504) 588-0179 701 Poydras #1660 New Orleans 70139*