ERROR: ORA-07318: smsget: open error when opening sgadef.dbf file

From: Neil Greene <neil_at_bMD.com>
Date: 23 Feb 95 14:16:36 GMT

For some reason, I am getting the above operating system error message when any user attempts to connect to Oracle other then the Oracle userid.

$ sqlplus account/pw
ERROR: ORA-01034: Oracle not available
ORA-07318: smsget: open error when opening sgadef.dbf file HP/UX Error: 13: Permission denied.

OS: HP/UX 9.05
Oracle: 7.1.3

I can not figure out why Oracle is suddently running like it is in EXCLUSIVE mode only. Again, I can log in under any Oracle account using the ORACLE unix uid, while any other unix uid that attempts to connect to Oracle fails with the above error. Of course, the above file does not exist. The correct SGA file is "sgadefbmd.dbf". But, I can't figure out what happened to change things. I don't see any errors in the rdbms log which leads me to believe anything is wrong. The system initializes itself, mounts exclusive to handle any recovery required, moves on and then mounts the database open.

Any clues to what may be happening??

Neil Greene
benchMark Developments, Inc.
Email: neil_at_bMD.com Received on Thu Feb 23 1995 - 15:16:36 CET

Original text of this message