Platform Capacity (486/Pentium)?

From: Matthew J. Burke <mburke_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 1995 15:46:14 GMT

        I would appreciate comments on the following scenario. I would like to support 100 users on some type of 486 or Pentium platform. There would be a relatively moderate number of transactions - approximately 50 record updates per hour. There will also be ad-hoc queries, but these could be moved to a batch cycle. Does anybody have any experience in a similar environment?

        We currently use Novell, but would consider other operating systems. Our current platform is a Compaq Pro/XL 486 with 96MB of memory. We now have 45 users with acceptable performance. Can this platform support double this number?

        Thanks.

 Matthew J. Burke   		  			     mburke_at_netcom.com
 Database Consultants, Inc.					(214) 392-0955