Re: Disk striping and tablespaces

From: Bruce Pihlamae <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 22 Feb 95 08:26:38 +1000

In article <3id2q7$2ho_at_homer.alpha.net>, nwojtal_at_earth.execpc.com (Norman Wojtal) writes:

> We are installing an HP system with multiple disk drives an multiple scsi
> controllers. We plan to stripe the file systems/raw devices across disk
> drives/controllers.
>
> Given that all file systems/raw devices will be striped across disks and
> controllers is there any PERFORMANCE reason to worry about which file
> system/raw device the tablespaces, rollback segments, etc. are on or which
> tablespace a table or index is in?

No performance reasons but you may have reliability problems.

Striping converts 'n' disks into one logical disk (where 'n' = 2 or more).

Striping 'n' disks reduces the Mean Time Between Failure for the logical disk to the smallest MTBF of the disk set divided by 'n'. A single physical disk failure will require a recovery of every tablespace striped on that disk.

Also, you really should keep your REDO logs separate from your control files separate from your database files.

--

Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of Human Services and Health            *
* Canberra, ACT, Australia                        (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *

"The more complex the argument gets, the easier it is to refute."
"Killing is wrong!"  -- Trent 'The Uncatchable' Castanaveras