Re: Oracle Project X's real name is......

From: Michael J. Marolda <mmarolda_at_bristol.onramp.net>
Date: 17 Feb 1995 09:04:24 -0600

In article <Henry_okeeffe.32.000D1CFA_at_inmarsat.org>, Henry O' Keeffe <Henry_okeeffe_at_inmarsat.org> wrote:
>In article <3i0rhl$g9l_at_news.csus.edu> sac50216_at_saclink1.csus.edu (Eric Pierce) writes:
>>From: sac50216_at_saclink1.csus.edu (Eric Pierce)
>>Subject: Re: Oracle Project X's real name is......
>>Date: 17 Feb 1995 00:44:37 GMT

>>Henry O' Keeffe (Henry_okeeffe_at_inmarsat.org) wrote:
>>: Still dunno what it does, but there's an Oracle Press book coming out about it
>>: in april I believe. It was advertised in ORACLE magazine jan/feb 95 issue.
>>: (the book that is).

>>There is info at http://www.oracle.com, or call Oracle Sales (Redwood
>>Shores, California USA) and they will send you some glossy brochures,
>>etc. in the mail.

>Araghghghgh!!!!!!!!!!! Gaaaaaaawd!!!!!!!!!
>I've just looked. It uses Visual-Basic Basic as a language!! What's
>happening?!?!?! What's the strategy here? What happens to pl/sql CDE? Is this
>Power Objects thing the way forward? There's no mention of Motif, I noticed.

I found this disappointing too.

>First we find out that CASE is written in visual C++ which ties Oracle to
>Microsoft, and now we find out that they have to keep up with the visual basic
>syntax etc. which ties them even more.
>
> All "Oracle" programmers are being made redundant, and all the visual basic
>programmers are going to take over their jobs! This is what's going to happen!
>
>Thanks a lot Oracle.

I wouldn't fret too much about this. It takes MUCH longer to be a good database engineer than it takes to learn a now database access language (I've learned quite a few since my old M204 user language days). Although C and Perl are my languages of choice, languages are simply tools to get the job done. Actually, I tend to spend quite a bit of time on design and if tools become availible that allow for faster implementation, I'm quite happy about it.

Mike Marolda
mmarolda_at_onramp.net
Onramp Productions
http://bristol.onramp.net/ Received on Fri Feb 17 1995 - 16:04:24 CET