Re: Orasrv fails due to socket creation failure

From: Roderick Manalac <rmanalac_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 16 Feb 95 19:27:05 GMT

"Dr. Dave Winkler" <d.winkler_at_chem.csiro.au> writes:
|> I've installed 7.0.15 client on a Mac and server on an Iris under
|> Iris 5.2. When I try to start 'orasrv' on Iris I get an error:
|>
|> orasrv: can't create socket: No such device or address
|>
|> The correct port is specified in the /etc/services file. Any ideas?

This type of error is usually indicative of a missing or incompatible system library. In the case of IRIX 5.2, I think there are a couple of TCP related packages that have to be installed before orasrv comes up.

The 'versions' command will tell you what you have. I think you at least need

I  eoe1.sw.svr4net      09/20/94  System V Release 4 Networking
I  eoe2.sw.tcp          09/20/94  TCP/IP Networking Support

Hope this helps.

Roderick Manalac
Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Feb 16 1995 - 20:27:05 CET

Original text of this message