Problems in migrating Appl from VAX Open VMS to Windows NT

From: <pmullick_at_tanuki.twics.com>
Date: 16 Feb 95 11:10:32 JST

Hi,

We are planning to migrate our application : Oracle 6.0.33 on VAX/VMS 5.5 ----> Oracle7 (7.0.15) on Windows NT PC Server.

Our application runs on VAX/VMS 5.5 with Oracle 6.0.33 as RDBMS, SQL*Forms 3.0 and Pro*C 1.3.20. Following the migration, the database is planned to be distributed with Oracle 6.0 on VAX/VMS and Oracle7 on Windows NT PC Server.

Can anybody please solve my problems as detailed below :

  1. All Pro*C files are currently built using 'Single Task' option on VAX/VMS. I am told, that if I plan to have a SQL*Net connection between Oracle7 on Windows NT PC Server to Oracle 6.0.33 on VAX/VMS, I need to upgrade Oracle 6.0 on VAX/VMS from Ver 6.0.33 to 6.0.36 as required for SQL*Net connectivity between Oracle 6.0 and Oracle 7.0. Then all Pro*C programs on VAX/VMS have to built again with 'Two Task' option. Do any of you have any other way out ?
  2. We need to migrate our application to Client-server environment with Oracle 7.0 on Windows NT server and client as MS-WINDOWS on DOS. I am really finding it difficult to setup the complete environment.

One big problem with Oracle products is that it does not provide the front end and back end tools as one package. Instead, one is left figuring out where to fit in what.

We desire to have the new setup with the front end (possibly FORMS 4.0) on client part but all batch programs in Pro*C residing at server. This requires Pro*C to be installed on Windows NT PC Server. Now, I am not able to figure out whether to install Pro*C for NT (Ver 1.5.6) or Pro*C for Windows (Ver 1.5.10). The former just provides command line interface and there is no window interface. Which C compiler & linker should be used with this ? There is no related documentation available which can provide some help in this regard. Acc. to the related manual, the latter i.e. Pro*C for Windows can be integrated with VC++ or Borland C++.

Can I have Pro*C for Windows integrated with VC++ 1.0 on my database server and build all Pro*C programs ? If I do this , then I am not able to connect to database (RDBMS ver 7.0.15 is for Windows NT) from integrated env. The configuration files for Oracle NT products and Windows products are different with NT Reigtry used for the former while ORACLE.INI is used for the latter. Is it possible to have this kind of setup or is it necessary to install Pro*C for Windows on all clients. Do I need to set some parameters so that the proper RDBMS is selected. Can anyone please provide me any help in this regard ?

3. Oracle7 (Ver 7.0.15) for Windows NT includes the RDBMS, Utilities and SQL*Net products. It does not include SQL*Plus. We need to invoke SQL*Plus on databse server in certain situations. I have Oracle 7.0.15 installed on Windows NT PC Server and I also have SQL*Plus for windows installed. Although, I am able to connect to Oracle database from SQLDBA icon in Oracle for NT group but when I try to connect from SQL*Plus, it gives connect error (ORA-09301). Does anyone know whether SQL*Plus is available as a separate product for Windows NT or can we use SQL*Plus for Windows ?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Regards,

Ritu Goyal                 rgoyal_at_citibank.twics.com
Citibank N.A. Japan Received on Thu Feb 16 1995 - 03:10:32 CET

Original text of this message