Unix & Forms 4 Integration with MS-Windows

From: Paul Beardsell <psb_at_sambusys.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 04:18:01 +0000

We currently have a very nice system written using SqlForms 2.3 & Oracle 6 running on Unix. Terminals are PCs running terminal emulation software under Microsoft Windows. We want/need to upgrade
(for marketing reasons, mainly) to Oracle 7 and a GUI environment.
The purchase of a whole lot of Unix workstations is not affordable and, besides, the users want to continue running all the MS-Windows applications that they do at the moment.

I am toying with the idea of running one of the several X-for-MSWindows products on the users' PC's. Two questions:

(1) Would that allow me to run SQL*Forms 4.+ in GUI mode as an X

    application?

(2) Does the above implementation mean I don't have to buy SQL*Net

    or Oracle for MS-Windows?

Surely many others must have faced the same type of upgrade considerations. I would appreciate any feedback.

--
Paul Beardsell                          SAM Business Systems Ltd
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                          21 Finn House, Bevenden St,