Re: Microsoft Access MEMO Datatypes = Oracle LONG type?

From: Jim Kennedy <odysscci_at_teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 07:08:07

In article <3hgsk2$87t_at_ixnews2.ix.netcom.com> jmm_at_ix.netcom.com (James Meyers) writes:
>From: jmm_at_ix.netcom.com (James Meyers)
>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>Subject: Microsoft Access MEMO Datatypes = Oracle LONG type?
>Date: 10 Feb 1995 23:24:50 GMT

>I am trying to export some Access tables to Oracle 7 and I am
>getting an error about having more than one LONG in a table. My
>guess is that the MS Access MEMO fields are being exported as
>LONG (rather than VARCHAR). Has anyone had similar problems?
>Thanks...

>--Jim

Yes, any field over 255 characters in Access is a memo field. Which means that Access thinks that the mapping is memo to long. It could be memo to varchar2 if the field does not exceeded 2000 bytes. To do that you cannot use the export feature because Access is creating the table on the backend. (without any indexes).

I did not like that so I wrote a little Access program that just transfered the data over and did not drop the table and rebuild it.

Jim Kennedy Received on Wed Feb 15 1995 - 07:08:07 CET

Original text of this message