Re: What does "rollback segment too small" mean?

From: Michel Keable <mkeable_at_cti.ulaval.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 18:40:53 GMT

>On 7 Feb 1995, Mike Williams wanted to know what means:

>> 01555, 00000, "snapshot too old (rollback segment too small)"

This error might also mean a more complex problem... According to ANSI, after a commit, each and every cursor should be closed and re-opened. Oracle supports than cursor are not closed after each commit but... it is unofficial. Most of the time it will work but if your job lasts for a long time or goes across a large number of commits then you will get a snapshot too old message which doesn't mean that rollback segment is too small but that Oracle cannot anymore rebuild the original image of the table (the snapshot here doesn't refer to a snapshot table but to the availability of the image of the table as it was when the cursor has been opened).

We had this error and after modifying the program, everything went back ok.

Michel Keable Received on Wed Feb 15 1995 - 19:40:53 CET

Original text of this message