Re: Executing UNIX commands from Oracle

From: Tony Rothwell <Tony_at_santen.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 1995 01:10:25 +0000

In article: <170sysD3zvC4.2rA_at_netcom.com> 170sys_at_netcom.com (170 Systems) writes:
> Try using database pipes. You put a message in one end (the client side)
> and have a process (e.g. written in Pro*C) on the other end (the server
> side) polling for messages coming out of the pipe. Your server process
> then executes the appropriate server o/s command.

At the moment, this is really the only answer, and it can work well.

One *possible* (though highly unlikely) option is to use the Procedural Gateway, which lets you call host programs from stored procedures. However, this is mainly geared to providing access to other datasources for which there is no existing Transparent Gateway, and is not really aimed at your requirement (particulary from a price viewpoint, I suspect).

I believe Oracle are currently looking at how they can provide general access to host programs from stored procedures. There are lot of issues involved in this which is no doubt why it is not available currently.

Regards
Tony. Received on Wed Feb 15 1995 - 02:10:25 CET

Original text of this message