Re: Forms 4.5 requirements ?

From: Daryl Erwin <derwin_at_mach2.wlu.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 1995 14:02:40 GMT

In article <3hqb64$nsm_at_nyx10.cs.du.edu> mrife_at_nyx10.cs.du.edu (Michael Rife) writes:

>In article <3hg4bb$661_at_nyx10.cs.du.edu>,
>Michael Rife <mrife_at_nyx10.cs.du.edu> wrote:
>>In article <1995Feb7.062236_at_ynp.dialup.access.net>,
>>Youri N. Podchosov <ynp_at_ynp.dialup.access.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>At least when I bring up F4.5 as the only tool with PO7, I see memory usage
>>>indicator jumps to 24M (this is RAM, swap isn't used yet at this moment).
>>>I believe it can live in 16 or 12M, but I can imagine its performance :(
>>>

>>I have a 486 33mhz, with 8M RAM. Oracle 7 with Forms 4.5 is a DOG. It is
>>not usable. The harddrive continuously runs. It takes about 5 minutes
>>for the designor to just start. I can run the Othello demo without the
>>database running, but that is about it. Guess it is time for more memory.
>>

>I must apologize to Oracle for calling their Forms 4.5 a "Dog". I did not know
>that there is a minimum of 16 Meg RAM. I received a "Nasty Gram" from an
>Oracle employee stating what the requirements were for Forms 4.5. I did
>not notice any requirements in the package that I received from Oracle. I
>did not mean it as a cut down, just stating the results of running Oracle7
>and Forms 4.5 on a 33mhz 486 with only 8Meg RAM.
>
>I guess that it is the same as usual, if I spend some money on more hardware
>I will be able to use my software.

Okay if you can't say it then I will....

I have Forms 4.0 with PO7 and 20Megs of memory. It runs like a dog and is unusable.

And to think we wont be able to do development on are Sequent in Forms 4. & up.

I feel like we've been left in the cold. PS. And how does everyone feel about replacing $150 terminals with $5000+ workstations that need to be upgraded yearly....? Received on Tue Feb 14 1995 - 15:02:40 CET

Original text of this message