Re: A synonym problem

From: L Carl Pedersen <l.carl.pedersen_at_dartmouth.edu>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 1995 14:31:48 -0500

In article <3hbmhq$pp6$1_at_mhadg.production.compuserve.com>, Frank Greene <74200.427_at_CompuServe.COM> wrote:

>Problem with synonyms --
>
>User_one owns table table_one. We create role role_one which,
>among other things, grants select on table_one.
>
>Now create a new user user_two and grant role_one to that user.
>
>When we log on as user_two, apparently the only way to access
>table_one
>is via something like
>
> SELECT * FROM USER_ONE.TABLE_ONE;
>
>That is, fully qualify the table name.
>
>Real bummer for code developers. THE QUESTION: is there any way
>create a private synonym which is attached to to a role in such a
>fashion that when the role is granted to a new user, the table
>synonyms
>come along with it?

i recommend using public synonyms for this. you may think this is a problem, since all public synonyms need to be distinct. actually, though, you need to do this anyway, otherwise you will never be able to give one person access to all of your systems. as mentioned by one of the other respondents, there is no security problem with this approach. Received on Sat Feb 11 1995 - 20:31:48 CET

Original text of this message