Re: splitting comp.databases.oracle, a volunteer and a proposal

From: Tony Jambu <aaj_at_phantom.trl.OZ.AU>
Date: 7 Feb 1995 22:38:03 GMT

In article <3h194e$jdd_at_crcnis3.unl.edu>, nolan_at_helios.unl.edu (Michael Nolan) writes:
> ajb_at_iinet.com.au (Andrew) writes:

.
.
> I'm also finally resigned to the fact that it is time to look at splitting
> it up. Traffic is currently running at about 60 posts/day, some days
> even more.
>
> Steve Kinzler and I handled the creation of the rec.humor.oracle groups about
> four years ago. (They were an alt group at the time.) Steve wrote most of
> the proposal, and then I took care of getting it posted, handled the comments,
> > and tabulated the voting.
>
> I'm willing to perform similar duties for the 'other' Oracle newsgroup.

Thanks goodness someone volunteered. Thanks Michael.

> Here's my own first cut on how to split up the group, based on some stats
> I've
> been keeping for the past few weeks. This also follows a fairly
> 'traditional'
> newsgroup hierarchy scheme. (Each of these categories would have had more
> than 30 posts in the past 2 weeks, except maybe 'announce'.)
>
> comp.databases.oracle.announce (moderated, any moderator volunteers?)
> comp.databases.oracle.misc (including followups for c.d.o.announce)
> comp.databases.oracle.rdbms (for rdmbs, sql, PL/SQL issues)
> comp.databases.oracle.tools (for both Oracle and 3rd party tools, such
> as Forms, PowerBuilder, etc.)
> comp.databases.oracle.help (obvious)
> comp.databases.oracle.beginner (also obvious)
> comp.databases.oracle.jobs (obvious, too, especially for those who find
> > all the job posts obnoxious)
> comp.databases.oracle.personal (needed based on recent traffic, my guess is
> that it will continue to generate many
> posts)

May I suggest that we
1. combine comp.databases.oracle.help & comp.databases.oracle.beginner

    together as the topics might tend to overlapped. 2. Change comp.databases.oracle.JOBS to

           comp.databases.oracle.CLASSIFIED     This can then include job ads, product announcement, services provided,     tranings, consulting etc.
3. Have a comp.databases.UNIX

    There are lots of UNIX related quextions in this newsgroups. 4. I would still prefere to see a group specifically for DBAs.

    comp.databases.DBA
    Topics like backup and recovery, installation, security, Oracle Database     performance tuning. There are lots of DBAs out there that just want to     read DBA topics and not development issues. 5. Change comp.databases.oracle.personal to

    comp.databases.oracle.desktop
    This can include ODBC, sql*Net, Glue, Power Object, etc

my 2c (Oz $) worth

ta
tony

--
 _____       ________ / ___ |Tony Jambu, Database Consultant
  /_  _        /_ __ /      |Wizard Consulting,Aust (ACN 065934778)