Contention

From: <hcurtis_at_hcurtis.pdial.interpath.net>
Date: 5 Feb 1995 01:50:09 GMT

The scenario: Oracle 7.0.16; Two transactions updating different rows on a table; Visual Basic app. updates a row, AFTER UPDATE trigger fires which writes a before and after image of the row to a log table. I suspect that the rows are physically close to one another (i.e. same block). The problem: when two transactions execute the flow specified above using keys close in value - contention; when executing using keys whose values differ greatly - no contention. Disabling the trigger seems to solve the problem. The key values are NOT updated. Text fields are defined as VARCHAR2 so I would expect some row expansion.

Any ideas regarding the cause? Thanks -Howie Received on Sun Feb 05 1995 - 02:50:09 CET

Original text of this message