Re: Oracle for Windows NT !

From: Jon Machtynger <jonm_at_nessie.be.ingres.com>
Date: 31 Jan 1995 15:27:20 GMT

Tom Campbell (campbell_at_mindspring.com) wrote: : In article <cheema.790921626_at_nntp.msstate.edu>, cheema_at_earth.sparco.com (Mubashir Cheema) says:

: >how capable is Oracle ?

: For a large scale production database, Oracle has become the : defacto standard, with sybase close at their heels....

Ask your Oracle salesman. In between gulps of fine wine and his next business lunch, he will assure you it is more capable than he could possible describe in words. It probably beats the pants off anything else that runs on NT (or ever will) etc etc etc (fill your glass?).

I'm not bagging Oracle as a product as it is quite nice where appropriate. As far as I'm concerned, there are only 3 products in the running for real databases (Ingres Oracle Sybase). All 3 are good products and will dominate the market place for quite a while to come.

However, Ingres (on NT) is generating a lot of business and should not be ruled out as a fast/efficient industry standard. Ingres just won a nice deal with a bank (500+ NT ingres licences) against Sybase and Oracle. One of the main reasons why Oracle was not chosen was that it was not easily scalable (ie you have to buy a 'Lite' version of Oracle for NT) and this was not easily integrated to the larger versions...

: >
: >Should a long time Paradox user give it a try ?

That depends on your requirements. If you don't need a complex system and you still want to try multi-user (~2-5 users) try something like MSAccess. It is cheap and the deficiencies for the price are not worth mentioning. If you have some serious requirements and you want the flexibility of hardware & OS independance (truly...) then try Ingres.

Jon

--
#include <disclaimer.h>