New Oracle Platform: RS6000/AIX vs. Alpha/VMS

From: Craig J. Fischer <cfischer_at_tyrell.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 03:27:30 GMT

My company is looking to upgrade its Oracle server, on which I am the DBA. Two options that are being looked at are an RS/6000 G30 or a DEC Alpha system (I'm not sure of the model number) running VMS. Both are SMP systems. They're about the same price, but of course the Alpha system destroys the IBM in performance.

We're currently on an RS/6000, which is part of the reason we'd like to stay. However, it's hard to argue with the Alpha's performance.

Any comments from sites running a G30 (or similar) or Alpha/VMS combinations would be greatly appreciated.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe,

Craig Fischer
cfischer_at_tyrell.net Received on Tue Jan 31 1995 - 04:27:30 CET

Original text of this message