Re: Is it safe to switch off cost based optimizing?

From: Anton Dischner <dischner_at_med.uni-muenchen.de>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 1995 14:03:16 +0100

Hi Marty,

you may want to set rule based optimization for your current session only. You can use: alter session set optimizer_goal = rule;

> We are currently using the cost based optimizer, but would like to switch
> to rule based. Will switching strategies alter the execution plan for
> extraction (and screw up the extraction order)?

Yes! (Did so in many cases for me), don't know anything about order, for my understanding only an 'order by' guarantees correct sorting.

> We have NEVER run an analyze against any table.

The you are using the rule based anyway!?

Best regards,

Toni

| Anton Dischner, DBA and system-programmer    Phone: +49 89 70953202|
| Institut fuer Klinische Chemie               Fax  : +49 89 70958888|
| Klinikum Grosshadern                         Home : +49 89 6254060 |
| Ludwig Maximilians Universitaet Muenchen     Handy: +49 172 8388880|
| 81366 Muenchen                                                     |
| Marchioninistr. 15                                                 |
| Germany                          Mail: dischner_at_med.uni-muenchen.de|