Re: Moving TABLES to another TABLESPACE

From: Peggy Brown <oispeggy_at_ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 18:18:00 GMT

In article <3fpl05$8af$1_at_mhadf.production.compuserve.com>, Paul MJ Stone <100255.305_at_CompuServe.COM> writes...
>Basically you have to export the tables, drop them, take the
>tablespace offline, redefine the users default tablespace to be
>the target and then import the tables.
>
>Alternatively export the tables, use IMPORT user/pwd
>INDEXFILE=filename.SQL to generate a set of CREATE TABLE
>statements in filename.SQL and then edit the files' TABLESPACE
>clauses and rebuild the tables before importing the data.
>
>Paul
>
>--
>Paul MJ Stone
>100255.305_at_compuserve
>or Paul.Stone_at_aea.orgn.uk for real work.

Wait a minute. Do you really have to do all that?

How about making the new tablespace. Then assign a user to the new userspace (a user with access to the tables in question). Log in as this user.

Then say: CREATE TABLE NEW_TABLE AS SELECT * FROM OLD_TABLE;

I did this, after being told what you said above, and it worked for me and was a lot easier.

  • Peggy -