Re: Undocumented features

From: Roderick Manalac <rmanalac_at_oracle.com>
Date: 25 Jan 1995 23:00:32 GMT

lsd_at_quay.ie (Liam Dwan) writes:
|> Are you saying that my Oracle DB contains hidden logic bombs and all that
|> it requires is for the office monkey to come up with the right combination
|> of key strokes and then WIPEOUT. Sounds like you're playing the company
|> secret game a bit too seriously.

That would be a great exaggeration. That is not to say that there are not a set of events and actions that one can do to damage a key block in the database. In general, you are at a much higher risk of someone accidently doing dropping an important table, overwriting a datafile, or issuing a bogus mass update than you are of someone setting a set of events and undocumented init.ora parameters to the right values and performing some dba activities that could potentially do major damage to a database. Operative phrase being DBA intervention.

Still, it is in general unwise to try to take advantage of things that are unsupported, undocumented, subject to change without notice, not well understood, etc... That would be true of any piece of software or hardware not just Oracle.

Roderick Manalac
Oracle Corporation

DISCLAIMER: I speak for myself not my company. Received on Thu Jan 26 1995 - 00:00:32 CET

Original text of this message