Re: Win 3.1 to Wrkgrp Srvr 7 on NT prob

From: Keith Majkut <kmajkut_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 1995 21:55:36 GMT

In article <3for37$g5j$1_at_mhadg.production.compuserve.com>, Jay D. Sullivan <70614.42_at_CompuServe.COM> wrote:
>(my appologies if I accidentally uploaded this twice)
>
>Hello, we have recently purchased Oracle Workgroup Server Version 7.0 for
>Windows NT and we are having problems getting Windows 3.1 clients on our Novell
>3.11 network to connect to the Oracle server. I have installed the server and
>client software on our NT 3.5 486 and I have also installed the client software
>on one of our Windows 3.1 PCs.
>
>From the NT box where the database is running, I am able to successfully log
>into the database. This tells me that the database is up and running. However,
>I cannot connect to the database from my Windows 3.1 client. From the 3.1
>client, I get the following message when I start up the Database Manager and try
>and get the status of the database: "Application error. Call to undefined
>Dynalink". This does not appear to be an Oracle message since it does not have
>an associated number. It looks like it is a Windows error message. I get this
>same message from any of the client utilities when they try and connect or get
>the status of the database.
>
>Oracle tech support has not been very helpful. I had to go through three or
>four techs before I found someone who even knew what the Workgroup Server
>product was. They were also wondering which version of SQL*NET I had purchased
>and what I had installed. They didn't seem to understand that with the
>Workgroup Server product, there is only a simple single step procedure to
>install the software, presumably ALL of the software including SQL*NET. There
>isn't a separate installation procedure for SQL*NET. The online documentation
>states that this product installs with SQL*NET version 1 for named pipes.
>
>Am I missing something? Do I have to start up SQL*NET separately on the client
>or should it start up when the client utilities start up? Is there a simple way
>to check to see if the named pipes communication is working between the client
>and server? How can I check to see if named pipes is set up correctly on the NT
>box? We are using Novell named pipes successfully over the same wire to connect
>to Microsoft SQL Server for OS/2.
>
>A Microsoft tech had told me that Novell named pipes is not compatible with NT
>named pipes. I didn't think this was an issue however since I thought that I
>was using SQL*NET named pipes and not Novell named pipes.
I think this is exactly the problem. Oracle Workgroup Server comes with SQL*Net for Named Pipes client/server, but does Oracle SQL*Net for Named Pipes support a Novell network? I think the answer there is no. You should ask the Oracle support people that particular question. You have a few options. You could move to SQL*Net TCPIP which is supported for Windows and NT(SQLNet V1) or you could move to SQL*Net V2 for Windows and NT(SQLNet V2) where I _think_ SQL*Net SPX is available for both Windows and NT.