Re: Personal Oracle for the PC - Info Wanted

From: Ivan Samuelson <bolski_at_iquest.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 1995 20:10:25 GMT

In article <D2oGC0.FKH_at_oodis01.hill.af.mil>, nelsonb_at_oodis01.hill.af.mil (Contractor Bert Nelson) says:

>I have heard that Oracle has in beta testing a new PC version of Oracle
>called Personal Oracle. I have also heard that it might be a available
>for $200.
>
>Does anyone have anything definitive on Personal Oracle?

I'm using it at this time. It's basically a way for a person to run Oracle on one machine, rather than having a server holding the database and then client machines that access the database via a network. With Personal Oracle, you have the database reside on the same machine as the client.

I don't think it's in beta, either. Oracle is allowing people to contact their WWW site/home page where people can either download the software for free with a 90 day trial license or else you can order a CD-ROM version with a $15 shipping fee. There is no crippling of the software and it doesn't have a time-bomb programmed into it.

If you have access to the web, you can download the software from:

        http://www.oracle.com

WARNING!!! The file is 16.5 megs! Once expanded on your harddrive, the file is about 60 megs. Once you install it, you can delete, though.

Hope this helps,

        Ivan Samuelson Received on Sun Jan 22 1995 - 21:10:25 CET

Original text of this message