Re: Oracle/Sybase server recommendations?

From: GAG <ggilchr_at_worldweb.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 1995 04:19:55 GMT

In article <3fmt0r$mth_at_ixnews1.ix.netcom.com>, dsktech_at_ix.netcom.com (Dana Kaufman) says:

>In <3f8sb5$6al_at_feenix.metronet.com> bkodl_at_metronet.com (Brian Kodl)
>writes:
>

>>Hi,
>> I'm in the process of evaluating Oracle and Sybase servers for our
 system,
>>and I'd like to solicit opinions.
>>
>> The pc clients are running on a Novell (non TCP/IP) network. I'm
 looking at
>>both Oracle/Sybase running on a Unix box (such as an HP9000, Sparc,
 RS/6000,
>>etc.) and NLM's on a Novell server. For Oracle/Sybase running on a Unix
 box,
>>the additional requirement is that the Unix box talk directly to the
 Novell
>>(non TCP/IP) network. We don't want to run TCP/IP software (such as
 Cameleon)
>>on all the pc clients.
>>
>> Our system is a commodities trading/tracking system. Tax reports are
 also
>>generated from the system, which results in some heavy computational
 queries.
>>The larger tables range from ~400K to ~1M rows with ~30 columns per
 table.
>>There are 10-20 users.
>>
>>I have the following questions:
>>
>> 1) Which database server (Oracle or Sybase) to use?
>> 2) What type of architecture and operating system to run the server
 on?
>> 3) Stability -
>> a) How stable is the architecture and operating system?
>> b) How stable is the communication between the server's
 environment and
>> the pc clients sitting on the Novell network?
>> a) How stable is the server?
>> 4) Any benchmarks or articles with benchmarks?
>> 5) Any problems when the pc clients crashing (such as lingering
 locks)?

>> I'm especially interesting in hearing from anyone already running in
 similar
>>environment.
>>
>>As background info, the pc's will be running Borland's SQL Link to
 allow
>>the current system (written in Borland's Paradox) to communicate to the
 server.
>>We realize that some (possibly a lot) of the system will have to be
 re-written
>>as stored procedures to take greater advantage of the server's power.
 But that
>>is separate problem.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for any help,
>>Brian
>>214-788-3055 (W)
>>214-691-1452 (H)
>>

>I would recommend trying Sybase. We are using the NLM version with some
>success. The reason I would recommend Sybase is because of the
>agreement Borland has signed with Sybase. Borland is developing a
>Sybase Express link for Sybase System 10 which will make data access
>through Paradox (and other programs that us the Borland Database Engine)
>easier and faster. It should get around some of the current issues seen
>with SQL Links such as slow retrieval of data on forms. It should be
>real interesting.
>

>--
>
>Dana Scott Kaufman

>DDDDD SSSSSS K K
>D D S K K
>D D S K K
>D D SSSSSS KKK Technologies Inc.
>D D S K K
>D D S K K Excellence in Paradox
>DDDDD SSSSSS K K Developement
>Internet: dsktech_at_ix.netcom.com
>CompuServe: 75240,1376
>Delphi: dsktech
>See the "DSK Technologies Support" Area in the Paradox forum
> on Delphi (GO CUS 320)

I would recommend Oracle7 NLM version or the Oracle7 Server for Novell. I've had direct experience running both Oracle and Sybase on the same and different machines...I'm a DBA who supports developers and production environments and as such I have over four years experience with both.... Received on Sun Jan 22 1995 - 05:19:55 CET

Original text of this message