SEMGET error increasing 'init.ora's "processes = " parameter

From: Pat Spinler <pats_at_coyote.ceramics.mot.com>
Date: 19 Jan 1995 17:37:03 GMT

Hi,

I'm running Oracle 7.0.16.4.0 on HP-UX version 09.03 on a 9000/735 platform with 368mb of physical memory and 3 gb of disk. I am attempting to increase the # of processes which can connect to my database from 150 to 200 by changing the "processes = " line in my init.ora file. However, when I do so, I get the following error on startup:

   SQLDBA>startup
   ORA-07279: spcre: semget error, unable to get first semaphore set.    HP-UX Error: 28: No space left on device    Additional information: 1

This leads me to believe that my shared memory and semaphore related kernal parameters are not set high enough. However, checking the recommended settings in the "Installation and Configuration Guide" on my system, and comparing them to the actual system values in /etc/conf/conf.c yields the following:

  ORACLE RECOMMENDED		/etc/conf/conf.c
  -----------------------	-------------------------
  SHMMAX	0x4000000	#define SHMMAX  0X4000000
  SHMMNI	100		#define SHMMNI  200
  SHMSEG	12		#define SHMSEG  120
  SEMMNS	128		#define	SEMMNS	200
  SEMMNI	10		#define	SEMMNI	64

What am I missing ?? Any help will be appreciated. (BTW, the rest of my init.ora parameters are set to the recommended values for large databases.)

Please post responses or e-mail to "harley_at_ceramics.mot.com" since my outside email is confused right now.

Thanks,
-- Pat Received on Thu Jan 19 1995 - 18:37:03 CET

Original text of this message