Re: clarification Re: 2 people with same address - sometimes - standard data model? [really a user interface question]

From: Michael J. Wise <mjwise_at_unixg.ubc.ca>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 1995 10:58:40 -0800

In article <l.carl.pedersen-1301951042050001_at_kip-2-sn-53.dartmouth.edu>, l.carl.pedersen_at_dartmouth.edu (L Carl Pedersen) wrote:

> my main question is, how should this look to the user doing address
> maintenance? it's going to be very common to have one address for one
> person. multiple people at an address is also going to be common.
>
> i'd sort of like to show a person's address on the person screen, even if
> it's not stored in the person table. i have plenty of room on my screen
> for this and i don't like the idea of forcing the user to know that that
> there's more than one table being updated. maybe i'm being wrong-headed
> here.
>
> i need a way to show when people live together on the screen and i need a
> way to change who lives with who. seems like i need to support a "move in
> with" and a "move out" operation and i need to make it easy to correct an
> address that has errors, regardless of how many people share it.

I'm using a "RELATION" database with the following format:   CaseNumb (C7) is an index into the (for me) Patients database (INDEX)   ToWhom (C7) is the link to Casenumber (INDEX)

  Type (C4) describes what type of link it is
  sDate (D) describes the "Start" of the relationship
  eDate (D) describes the end, if there is one, of the relationship.

Then, you define some procedures:
  Set the anchor - remember this person
  Make a relationship:
    check and see that CaseNumb != anchor     present a valid list of possible relationships     post the record with toWhom=anchor
  Goto a relationship:
    find all the relationships where the current Casenumb is in the Relation.CaseNumb AND the Relation.ToWhom fields (using the index).

Be nice, now. This is my code and ideas as represented!

--
mjwise_at_unixg.ubc.ca
Michael J. Wise