Re: Changing ROWID

From: Kim Ng <kimmng_at_pebbles.uswnvg.com>
Date: 10 Jan 1995 20:55:03 GMT

Well, now that we have two UNOFFICIAL comments from people working in ORACLE that sort of conflict each other (see the extract below), will ORACLE be kind enough to give us the official response to this question ? Of course, we would like to know the TRUTH, not a "guess" or even "educated guess" since this IS a very important issue.

Personally, the second response (from Mark) warns me NOT to depend on rowid if your SQL operation is NOT WITHIN THE SAME SQL.

(PS: there are other UNOFFICIAL comments from people working in ORACLE that

     basically said that rowid remains for the life of the record. See the
     rest of the thread.)

 -----------------------------

 (Whatever I say and own are mine, mine and only mine! So, don't you dare   claim they are yours!)
 Kim Ng
 Paradigm Computer Consulting, Inc.
 20611 E Bothell-Everett Hwy SE, Suite 280  Bothell, WA 98012
 U.S.A.

: Been a while but I vaguely remember some issues with the change of
: a cluster key. If the key changed we moved the row so that it clustered
: properly. Can't remember if we leave a ptr to it on the old page and
: thus not really change the external ROWID.
: --
: Kirk Bradley
: Oracle Corporation
: Mainframe and Integration Technologies Group

: From: Mark Vandenbroeck <mvandenb_at_be.oracle.com>
:
: The rowid is created during the insert of the row. From then on it
: NEVER changes (except during export/import, because that creates a
: NEW row). Only when the row is deleted, the rowid becomes available
: again to be assigned eventually to another row.
:
: I don't understand why they can be a controversy on this point. This
: is clearly explained in the 'Oracle7 Server Concepts' manual,
: p. 6-9 and 6-10.
:
: Mark