Re: Is there an OCI like layer for Sybase or MS SQL Server??

From: Jay Walters <jwalters_at_igate.iohk.com>
Date: 9 Jan 1995 07:38:20 GMT

John Jamison (jamison_john_at_sagesoln.com) wrote:
: In article <3ek32f$ips_at_uuneo.neosoft.com>, chadb_at_NeoSoft.com wrote:

: > I was recently asked if a port of our SQL engine (written in Oracle OCI)
: > would be easy to port to Sybase or SQL Server. I have no idea!! Is there
: > a layer similar to OCI for these databases or is it all pre-compilers??
: > If there is, are they easier or harder to code to??
: >
: > Thanx,
: > Chad
: > --
: > Chad Brockman
: > VertiComp, Inc
: > chadb_at_NeoSoft.com
: > vci_at_NeoSoft.com

: Yes - the common API for both engines is called DB-Library.
: -John
: jamison_john_at_sagesoln.com

And it is IMHO more complex and at the application level seems to be more inefficient. On the other hand it is more flexible(?) - well thats what the SYBASE people all say. I've used ORACLE for 7 years and SYBASE for 5 months, so perhaps I have a slight bias.

There is a second library, ct-lib, which is also complex and perhaps more so than db-lib. It is the recommended library to use for new development. It is also much slower than db-lib.

So long as you have layered your application well, you shouldn't be in too bad shape. The biggest difference for me is that SYBASE doesn't allow you to associate a host variable with a parameter to a stored procedure by address, which means you only bind once and the RDBMS reads the value from the variable when you execute. In SYBASE you must rebind the host variable to the SQL statement/stored procedure every time you execute it. Now this looks more complicated and less efficient to me, but I don't know what all ORACLE OCI is doing under the covers so it might just be exporting of the confusion layer to the developer instead of hiding it from them.

Jay Walters
(I really love my SYBASE!) Received on Mon Jan 09 1995 - 08:38:20 CET

Original text of this message