Re: Changing ROWID

From: Gary Kirsh <gkirsh_at_dorsai.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 15:12:45 GMT

Daniel K M (danielkm_at_aol.com) wrote:
: I notice from your address that you are at Oracle.
: It might interest you to know that *every* other response was A) from
: non-Oracle
: personell and B) disagreed with you. This either indicates a massive
: misunderstanding in the community about the nature of the ROWID, or it
: means that you are mistaken. Can you back up your claim about ROWID being
: safe for the "lifetime of the row". Are there any resources at Oracle I
: can use
: to resolve this question?

As an ex-Oracle employee (6+ years) I felt compelled defend the Oracle person who said that the ROWID doesn't change. This is true with one exception - if the table is exported and imported the ROWID will likely change. Otherwise, it will stay the same until the row is deleted.

Hope this helps,
Gary Kirsh
Next Extent, Inc. Received on Mon Jan 09 1995 - 16:12:45 CET

Original text of this message