Re: Oracle on PC

From: Jgreene <jgreene_at_aol.com>
Date: 8 Jan 1995 12:49:45 -0500

> Could not find Oracle software that runs on PC in San Diego
> local retail stores. Any idea on where to find it and how much
> will it cost???

The word is that it will be available 1 Feb 95. There will be a standard edition for $199 that contains the basic database engine and the basic tools (SQL*Loader, Export, Import, SQL*DBA and the Database Manager tool).  There will be an Enterprise Edition for $395 which will add network links and distributed database options. The one difference from the Beta versions that are out there is that Browser will not be bundled with it. They indicated that it would be marketed through standard Oracle channels (their sales reps and resellers). I did not get the impression that they were going to be mass marketing in Comp*USA or Egghead. Hope this helps. All I can add is that I have been fairly impressed with the Beta I have seen and can live without database triggers and stored procedures on the PC side. Received on Sun Jan 08 1995 - 18:49:45 CET

Original text of this message