Re: Forms 3 --> client-server GUI application porting

From: Jeff Jacobs <jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 7 Jan 1995 21:06:18 GMT

In <237_at_funhouse.win-uk.net> geoff_at_funhouse.win-uk.net (Geoff Benn) writes:

>Forms 3 --> client-server GUI application porting
>
>Please can someone help me on the subject of porting an existing
>application from Oracle Forms 3 to a client server environment ?
>
>I would like to know how feasible it is using some form of
>automated tool for the port, and then how much manual re-work might
>remain using client-server development tools.
>
>All suggestions on possible tools would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance.

>| Geoff Benn BSc. CEng. MIEE | Stafford UK |

This is highly dependent on the nature and complexity of the forms.

In general, I recommned using the Oracle CASE tools to reverse engineer the forms and database into CASE. This captures the database schema, blocks, fields, etc into CASE repository.

Assuming you RE Forms 3.0, you can then use the CASE tool to generate Forms 4.0. You also get some added advantages of getting better UI, standard look and feel, and a host of other benefits. It also sets you up to very quickly jump to Forms 4.5/CDE2 when CDE2 CASE is available. (And believe me, you'll definitely want to go to Forms 4.5 :-)

-JJ

 Jeffrey Jacobs & Associates
 Oracle CASE Consulting and Training
 951-2 Old Country Road, Suite 119
 Belmont, CA 94002
 Voice: 415-571-7092
 FAX: 800-665-1379
 CompuServe: 76702,456
 Internet: jjacobs_at_well.com
 Internet: jmjacobs_at_ix.netcom.com     Received on Sat Jan 07 1995 - 22:06:18 CET

Original text of this message