Re: HP/Oracle libXt.a, libX11.a ???

From: <briantc_at_delphi.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 95 19:00:15 -0500

Mike Moritz <mmoritz_at_netcom.com> writes:

>I am running HP-UX 9.04 on a HP9000/800. This is a new system
>and HP-UX was preloaded by HP.
>
>During my installation of Oracle 17.0.16.4 CDE (Cooperative
>Development Environment) I am asked for the location of libXt.a
>and libX11.a. On my system all I have is /usr/lib/X11R5/libXt.sl
>and /usr/lib/X11R5/libX11.sl.

From an old HP and oracle hacker:

The difference is in what happens when you compile and run an executable:

 sl - ie Sharedlibrary files are linked at compile time but only executed

       on the appropriate "call" in your code ( ie Shared libraries )

 .a - ie archive libraries are linked into your code at compile time, and the

      entire body of the object is "included" into your finished executable

Unfortunately Oracle are right for a change- I had a similar problem porting an Oracle application from HPUX to another platform. HP assume that the rest of the world will only use shared libraries, Oracle play safe and assume archive ( ie *.a) libraries.

Give HP a call and ask them for the appropriate patch ( sorry I can't remember the path number - all I know is that it starts with a "4" )

For a better description try HP's book

Programming Under HPUX ( You should get it as part of your standard mamual set )

Hope I'm making sense ( it's only 1 am here after all )

BC   Received on Fri Jan 06 1995 - 01:00:15 CET

Original text of this message