Re: Forms 3 --> client-server GUI application porting

From: Richard Wark <warkr_at_vanadium.brooks.af.mil>
Date: 5 Jan 1995 16:18:27 GMT

Geoff,

    Since others have written books on this subject, I make no claim of expertise. That said, if you are interested in going with Oracle Forms 4.0 or 4.5, you will have a fairly smooth road ahead of you. Forms 4.5 (still in beta I believe) is a really nice environment to convert your 3.0 forms into 4.5 format (They even look nicer!) them you can modify the .fmb files, create you buttons, change your LOVs in pull downs, use check boxes and radio buttons. Slick features of 4.5 are the object navigator and ability to edit/compile client triggers from form painter. You may want to move some (many even) of your form level triggers to the backend to decrease net traffic/increase forms performance.

    I've worked with PowerBuilder, SQLWindows, and Visual Basic which all have their strong points, but converting 3.0 Forms to a GUI environment seems to be the strong point of 4.5.

By the way, I don't work for Oracle...

Richard A. Wark
Computer Sciences Corp. warkr_at_vanadium.brooks.af.mil Brooks AFB, San Antonio TEXAS

In article <237_at_funhouse.win-uk.net>, geoff_at_funhouse.win-uk.net (Geoff Benn) says: