Re: Using `export` to write to tape

From: Alvin Law <alaw_at_oracle.com>
Date: 4 Jan 95 01:24:50

In article <3dq5bi$mef_at_turtle.mrj.com> "John P. Lybrand" <jlybrand_at_mrj.com> writes:

> We want save the results of an `export` command to tape. I know that we can
> `export` data to a file and then `tar` the file to tape. However, the result
> of the `export` is a 1.6 GB file, and we do not have that much scratch disk
> space. We tried piping the results of `export` to `tar` but `tar` expects to
> see a list of files and not the data. The result is that `tar` tries to find
> files with names corresponding to each line of data.

If you do not wnat to compress the export file before writing onto tape, you can simply specify the name of the tape device (like /dev/rst0 on SunOS) as the export file name.

% exp file=/dev/rst0 ...

If you do want to compress the export file before writing onto tape, you have to do it through a FIFO pipe.

On SunOS:

% mknod pipe p
% compress -c pipe | dd of=/dev/rst0 &
% exp file=pipe ...

--
      ___
     (o o)

ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel Received on Wed Jan 04 1995 - 01:24:50 CET

Original text of this message